Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Newbie

Welcome to my new blog. Although I'm not new at the blog world, I am a newbie to the Gluten-free world. After many weeks of internet searches I am having a hard time finding a blog that I just LOVE. One that relates to my life-- a social southern girl who has always enjoyed the parties, restaurants, bars, and just food in general. Cheesburgers. French fries. Beer. Fried green tomatoes. Pizza. Vodka. Chocolate chip cookies. Wedding cake. Fried chicken. All of which are delicious things I have enjoyed (at one time), but are now poison to me.

As many of you know, I have been going through a life-change. At 27 years old, I have been diagnosed with Celiac Disease. It's been about 4 weeks since I had the testing and found out my diagnosis. And its been a rough 4 weeks.
The second week, I started writing down thoughts, foods I ate, how I felt, etc so I could look back and hopefully see progress. I have always liked to write and talk about my feelings, but for some reason, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. There have also been some days that I couldn't even open my computer- either I was too busy, or I was too lazy.
I am going to be very vulnerable here and explain to those who want to read, my feelings as I'm going through this life change. I hope that not only my friends, but strangers even can understand how Celiac disease can affect your life. I have never been one to be this open about everything, but I feel that maybe in some sense it will be an outlet and I will get to feeling better.

I am blessed that there is so much information out there on the web where I can learn more and more everyday. And that is what I'm trying to do. And since most of you aren't out there searching "is ____ gluten free?" for everything that you put in your mouth, I will try to give you as much info as you need. You never know who you will come in contact with that has this disease- you could be hosting a party and invite a guest who is GF, you may be eating with a group at a restaurant and someone in that group is GF, your child may be in a class with another child who is GF...who knows, but I believe it is important for people to understand how this disease is affecting their life.

I hope that this blog will be informative and interesting, but if anything a way for me to let people close to me know what is going on in my life!


3 comments:

  1. Wow, Molly, I had no idea! I'll be praying for you. I know your knowledge of your new lifestyle will grow and grow. Hopefully you'll be able to educate everyone else as well! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, what were your symptoms and what led to you getting tested? I am very interested in learning more about a GF lifestyle-I've heard it has tremendous benefits on making you FEEL so much better!! And, I hope Bubba and Melissa are helping you.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susannah, I will let Molly fill you in on the gory details of her long saga--but I wanted to add that I have also adopted the GF lifestyle--initially "in support" of Molly, but now..... I haven't felt better in YEARS!!! I have much more energy. I must be "gluten sensitive", although I do not have Celiacs. I am finding it worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete