Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Potatoes!

I've been eating a lot of potatoes! HA. I am bad about getting on a kick with something in particular and wearing it out. Baked potatoes are great because you can put basically anything on them. A bag of about 12 was 3.99 at Publix last week. I also never cooked them in the microwave, until now. If I am planning ahead I will bake them in the oven (it takes an hour and heats up my house), but if I'm in a hurry, I don't mind them in the microwave. Of course cheese, sour cream, and butter are always good- but I usually add broccoli, or mushrooms and onions- peppers, tomatoes- Chicken! ANYTHING. Also, I went to Purple Onion and got the Veggie Baker ( and took it in to Buffalo Wild Wings to watch football, because they have absolutely nothing gluten free besides lettuce). It was DELICIOUS. (probably fattening, but yummy!). A good change from a salad.

I just looked up the nutritional facts of a baked potato and it has some interesting information: Potatoes are a great source of potassium, folate, and vitamin c- which are all non-absorbed nutrients when you have Celiac disease and aren't on a GF diet.
So if you load it down with some yummy veggies (cooked in light oil or steamed), and some I can't believe its not Butter, and light Sour Cream- and just a little shredded cheese- You are looking at a pretty good meal!

I also chopped some up and roasted them with a little rosemary and oil- and they were delicious- even for breakfast the next morning with some cheese and ketchup (smothered, covered?)!

I have also made Potato skins! YUMMY. Great snack for a football party or app for a dinner party. I love these.

I also love a sweet potato. I can't wait to make sweet potato casserole for Thanksgiving! This year I will substitute corn chex for the corn flakes that go on top!

Sweet potato fries are the next best thing. I haven't completely perfected homemade ones, but I will. They are my favorite!
                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment